Hi! I’m Jay.
In addition to working in technology, marketing, and as a writer, I owned and operated restaurants for a good portion of my career. In 2006, our flagship restaurant became, as far as we can tell, the nation’s first no-tipping table-service restaurant to establish itself in the modern era. I wrote about that experience, and about tipping in general, in a series of pieces you can read here.
You can read the rest of my blog here.
I’m currently working on a software application that helps small restaurant operators stay on top of administrative work. I expect to release it as a SaaS (software-as-a-service) product in 2018.
I’ve started several independent restaurants from scratch including planning, permitting, construction, and opening, on a bare-bones budget. (I’ve done it the expensive way too, which is a little less interesting.) As a result, I’m often approached by independent restaurant operators and those just getting started, looking for help with the process. I enjoy helping people build great spaces and great restaurants, and can provide any or all of the following services at an hourly rate.
- Pre-lease evaluation
- Kitchen and restaurant design
- Drafting plans and preparing submittals for permitting
- Equipment specification and purchase
- Assistance obtaining permits
- Project management and co-ordination of buildout
- Assistance with pro formas, business plan development, marketing plans, and operational plans.
If you are interested in contacting me regarding these services, please email me at jay -at- jayporter -dot- com
SELECTED PUBLISHED WRITING
- A Small Business Owner’s Case For Raising The Minimum Wage, Slate, April 2014
- How small plates have conquered America’s menus, Quartz, April 2014
- What Happens When You Abolish Tipping, Slate, August 2013
- After I banned tipping at my restaurant, the service got better and we made more money, Quartz, August 2013
- Sustainable vs. Local: San Diego’s Grass-Fed Meat Dilemma, Edible San Diego, Summer 2012
- Just Down The Road: A Taste of History (on Caesar’s Restaurant in Tijuana), Edible San Diego, Winter 2010
- Liquid Assets: Brewing Brilliance (on San Diego’s craft brewers), Edible San Diego, Summer 2008
- “Tipped Out” Forum, The University of Guelph Sustainable Restaurant Project, Toronto Canada, 2013
- A Meeting of the Minds, presentation on art installations in Colonia Federal, Tijuana, presented in San Diego by Voice of San Diego, 2011
- USD “Food Fight” screening, 2011
- UCSD Greenhorns screening discussion panel, 2011
- San Diego Museum of Art “Summer Salon” discussion panel, 2011
- California Small Farms Conference, Farmers Markets: Social Media Marketing, 2010
- San Diego Cultivating Food Justice Conference, Sustainable Food in Restaurants, 2009 and 2010